Benefits of Sleep
Repairs your body, builds immune system, reduces stress, improves memory, and reduces risks of diseases (cardiovascular & diabetes, & more). Proper sleep gives you energy, helps you accomplish more, be more creative, and keeps you well!
10 Tips for getting restful sleep
- Avoid stimulants, ie. caffeine, nicotine, alcohol 3-6 hrs before bed.
- Keep your room dark, cool, quiet… Comfy bed & pillows a PLUS! Keep kids & pets OUT!! Also, no computers, TV’s, tablets, phones, etc, and don’t bring your work to bed either!! Keep the mental association between BED = SLEEP.
- Before bed soothing routine.. An hour or so before bed, start with a bath, reading, journaling, soft music, and dim lights. Avoid work and stressful situations before bed. Stress releases cortisol which makes you alert.
- Use specific essential oils for your evening routine so your brain associates them with sleep. Some of my favorites are Young Living’s Lavender, Vetiver, Tranquil Roll-On, Peace & Calming, and SleepyIze for the kids (knocks them right out)!!
- Don’t watch the clock!! If it takes longer than 20-30 mins to fall asleep, get up, try some light reading, or listening to mellow music with lights dimmed (bright lights stimulate).
- Nap before 5pm or not at all!
- Avoid late night snacking or a late dinner… Finish dinner several hours before bed, and if you are hungry before bed, eat something light, like veggies or nuts.. (My personal favorites are carrot sticks or almonds)
- Time your water just right — hydrate throughout the day, and only drink a little bit of water about an hour before bed.
- Exercise no more than 3 hours before bed. Exercise releases cortisol, which again, like stress, can make you alert.
- Plan for the next day and morning. Getting clothes, lunches, the coffee pot, and anything else you need in the morning all ready before you go to bed will help your mornings go a little smoother, and you’ll rest easier knowing things are in order!!
What are some ways you could improve your bedtime routine? Comment below to chime in!